3.09.2010

The Answer is 42

"How many roads must a man walk down? "

Okay, that was unnecessary, but funny to me, so please go with it. Vogon poetry couldn't tear me from this now. Heh.

So I know that I delivered your six monthiversary letter right on time, complete with photos bursting with preciousness, but you'll have to understand sooner or later that I don't need a birthday to embarrass you with my smoochy love, and I'm certainly crap at photo taking.
.
.
.
.
.
Hey! Iris!

I love you.

I wanted to post some epically heart-warming thing on your birthday, but, well - you remember your birthday, right? The jigging quarterbacks? The subsequent amoxicillin? Yeah, that sucked, especially for you.



I just want you to know that your Dad and I couldn't be more delighted with you. It's not possible to be more so. On the night of your birthday party, in fact, we solicited Jennifer and James to explain to us whether or not the delight ever ends, what with their children being like seven and twenty seven (what? James Thomas is a grown-up now, right? Har). As we suspected, it doesn't, of course. It does that morphy changy thing that ends in us googling over every single thing you ever do forever. Promise not to disown us for thinking your first hangover is funny, and I'll promise not to disown you for getting your first hangover.

Inevitable future dumb decisions aside, I will tell you this: you are so smart. You can say something like twenty words. When we're getting ready for bed, we walk to the bathroom and you say, "bruh! bruh! bruh!" When you see Lando you say, "Dawh!" When you see me, you grab the middle of my face and say, "Noha!" It means 'nose;' I don't judge. When you see Dad, you grab his beard and say, "HAIR!" That's one that you got right away. Awesome job, kiddo. You can sign for 'more' and I know you can walk, but you're too afraid to let go yet. It's okay. Letting go is scary.

Dad and I strive to hold you up, but not coddle you. We hope that you'll be savvy, but not wary. Don't be naive, but please don't be jaded. You already shine with so much kindness and wonder. Don't try to deny it; I've seen you pet the cats nicely when you think we're not looking. Listen, your parents can be paranoid over-protective crazies at times, but please don't let that deter you from discovery. You are the best of us, and we could not be more proud of you.

Happy Birthday, Iris Luella.




4 comments:

  1. What a cute picture of a cute baby. The glasses make her look so much older. Thanks for the picture and the post. Iris is very special. Love, Grandma K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am REALLY struck by the glasses look. I think if she wasn't wearing the glasses, I would not believe your tall tale about the twenty words. I do believe the mushy, gushy stuff about the love and all, though. The next time I see you, I am definitely going to grab your nose and call you NOHA! [snicker]

    xxoo Patty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iris is more adorable every day! You are too cute Mug. Love the video too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The most beautiful birthday message a Mom could ever write. :)

    ReplyDelete