2.15.2010

The Freakness

I would have called it "The Sickness," but I didn't want to worry anyone. Iris had some bug. It mainly consisted of a 102.5 fever on and off for like four days. No barfy, no hacky, just high fever and sadness. We alternated the OTC meds the best we could and wiped her down with damp cloths. She licked them. She maintained her usual good spirits till the final leg of The Freakness, when there was no fever, yet much crying. She'd eschewed food as a general principle and fell back entirely on formula & breast milk. So much for weaning, eh?

I think the lack of food + extra fortified fluids led to the gassiness issue of 2010 that we're facing now. Plus, sick or no, her little astute mind noticed that we've been coddling her for the last week or so, which means we're always capable of said behavior. Not an issue when one is sick and miserable, but when the sickness abates and suddenly extra special treatment reverts back to business as usual, well... Iris took issue with the situation.

She was tired. It was 7:30. I said, "Let's go to bed. Say night night to Dad!" We had our family hug and everyone kissed Iris' face, and we all said "I Love You! Night, night," just like we do every night. Then I took Iris upstairs, hugged her a little more for good measure, and laid her down in her bed like I always do at bed time. She immediately started flailing. She thrashed and kicked and yelled and made every sound she could think of to convince me that this, right here, was the worst idea ever.

She has always hated sleep. Right. We know this. But today marked the first instance of an Honest-To-God-Temper-Tantrum. I did everything I could to prevent her from hurting herself. Even picking her up again only angered her more, because she was so anti-touch in that moment.

I flipped her onto her stomach and patted her back once, and immediately she was silent. I patted her back for another few minutes, and she was completely out. Shut down in under five minutes.

It is now 11:20. She hasn't budged since. Can we claim progress now? Can we call this sleep? I don't really even want to do the happy dance like I won or something. I just want her to sleep, and not wake up sad. I think we're close.


3 comments:

  1. So sorry Iris is not feeling well, but when she is miserable, she just wants to make sure that her loved ones share in her misery. Somehow she needs to learn that sleep is a wonderful thing, I have no advice on how to teach her that lesson. But I hope she learns it soon. Love, Grandma K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee, I STILL do that! Don't worry. She won't grow up to be a Republican. xxoo Patty

    ReplyDelete