2.01.2011

It's Stuffing

I had this teacher... let's call her Mrs. S. She was my sixth grade math teacher. Awful woman. She was like 4'3", ex-nun, used guilt and humiliation as her main guidance tools, and had an Irish brogue so thick you were sure to misunderstand her, thus garnering her ire at all points throughout the day. She had one saving grace though, and that is that all of these points of data added up to be one seriously funny individual, as long as her attention was not pointed at you.

Mrs. S hated the snow. I seriously don't know if I have the vocabulary to adequately explain her complete disgust with all things snow and snow related. Perhaps because she was such a tiny pocket pal of a lady she was just that much closer to the ground, and on much more intimate terms with the snow. I imagine intimate terms with snow would be right uncomfortable. I don't really know. This extreme contempt was so thorough that she refused to even speak the word snow. Mrs. S called it stuff. "It's stuffing outside," Mrs. S would scornfully announce. Of course, one might only discern that those were her words after having been in her presence for at least a year. That accent was seriously challenging to decipher. And of course, when she's the sixth grade math teacher, that indicates she's only likely to be one's teacher for a grand total of one year. It was a blessing and a curse, knowing she'd only be around for that one year, but also that her language was not likely to be translated by her wards until that year was nearly up. She was a tiny, scary, hateful woman, and she still cracks me up to this day. Crazy lady.


Anyway, on to the point: It's stuffing outside.


Fig. 1: The road in front of my house


Fig. 2: My driveway



We are about six inches into what promises to be at least two feet of snow, interspersed with layers of ice and such, just for funsies. We will not be leaving our house for at least three days and while we thought we were fully prepared for the onslaught, we failed mightily in one very important area. We just ran out of coffee. Pray for us.


6 comments:

  1. Ish!! Is this ridiculous, er what??? Anyhoo, we are baking here: cakes, bread, roasts. We haven't run out of coffee yet, but I would think the MOST important "make-sure-you-have-this" would be dog and kitteh food. How you doin' in that department?? Stay warm, toots!! xxoo Patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely went and stocked up on coffee yesterday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am officially tired of all of this STUFFING! We too are experiencing way too much of this white stuff. This may be the time for you and Kyle to wean yourselves from the coffee habit. Chris is always wanting me to make "snow" ice cream. I did that when the kids were little.
    Love, Grandma K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, Grandma K? I'm pretty sure that's blasphemous. It's never the time to quit drinking coffee. I can't even contemplate that existence. *shudder*

    And Patty, yes, we are all stocked up on animal food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I guess your Dad and I failed somewhere--running out of coffee?! This is only going to get ugly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you tried diet coke? I don't drink coffee (unless its a Starbucks with David's gift card) but diet coke will keep me going to at least 8p.m. Seriously, we've had enough "stuff" to last a winter...thank God for good books and U-Verse TV!
    Aunt Pittypat

    ReplyDelete