4.05.2011

It's too late to change your mind

You don't get to arrive all round and heartburney at 40 weeks and go, "know what guys? I maybe was just kidding. I think that adoption is an excellent route for our family, and here let me just... wiggle this thing here, and toggle this doo-dad, and er....yep! Just magicked THAT reality into existence."

You don't sell your house, buy a new one, then settle in the new place and say, "I think I liked the old neighborhood better, let's just go ahead and move back now."

You don't name a brand new human, then try it on for size and decide a few months later that Bob-Ellen is really a much more appropriate name. I mean, hopefully nobody thinks that's ever an appropriate name, but that's not the point.

I am certainly not saying that I don't want to be pregnant right now. We want another child now and I love this baby. And so far (even with the 3-month hangover minus the fun drunky times the day before) this pregnancy has been much easier to deal with than the last. I guess I'm just feeling rather fatalistic these days. I just sort of got on this train and now I don't really know who is in charge, but it is most definitely not me. That's fine. It's a little scary, but perhaps it's best to identify the situation then just let it go. I'm going with the flow. I'm zen. I suck at zen, btw.

And we are thinking about selling/buying house these days. And we are struggling to come up with a name for this kid. And somehow I can't lay on my stomach anymore because there is a beefsteak tomato sized person in there, and he really doesn't like it when you lay on him.

I feel like suddenly one day I'll be in a new house that I don't think is very cute, next to crazy zealot right-wing neighbors, while Iris again completely ignores my warnings about loving small creatures too hard and squashes baby Englebert in a breath-stealing crunch. That is, she will do so after she decorates him with butt cream and explains the pitfalls of eating markers and peeing on the couch.

I can't have a baby named Englebert, people!

2 comments:

  1. Megan,
    You should be sleeping not posting at night. You have 6 months to decide on a name. Kyle was called Eric for the first several weeks and look how he turned out!!! Love, Grandma K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do you have to move? Stay where you like it or come to my 'hood where it is safe, clean, and truly, truly integrated -- artists, university functionaries, young, old, WWII prisoners of war, students -- and where, during a blizzard, you can walk to the grocery store to get a box of Swiss Miss hot chocolate WITH marshmallows! It might not be chi-chi, but it IS cool, especially with the awesome park with swings and jungle gym just a stroll away. Former mayors notwithstanding, it's a nice place. xxoo

    ReplyDelete