4.25.2011

Shelby Pat Kelley cannot be moved

Today was the 'big' morphology/ID sex of baby ultrasound. I asked my doctor to schedule it sometime before the weekend of May 5th if he could, mostly so that I could participate in gender-specific shopping on my trip to DC with the fam. It's admittedly a silly reason to bump up the scan, but the doctor seemed fine with the idea and scheduled it for this week. We (I) thought I was 17 weeks pregnant, and that this ultrasound was just slightly too early (usually morphology scans aren't scheduled for any earlier than 18 weeks). Turns out I am not. My due date was moved four days later about ten weeks ago, and nobody told me. So my actual due date is October 6th, 2011. You would think that this information would have influenced Dr. G's scheduling here just a little bit.


While it is wonderful that I have four more days to cook this kid before all the c-section harpies come at me with scalpels, it is not so wonderful in the land of insurance-covered ultrasounds. There were two sonographers in the room: a super nice and presumably experienced one, and a second, mildly snippy student-sonographer who was really extra annoyed that I wasn't far enough along to get all the proper readings. I kept telling her that I think ultrasounds are really super fun (I do!) and that I'll gladly come back, but she wouldn't be cheered. What is it with us and cranky sonographers? I mean, the one today was not nearly as gruff or curt as the last one, but still - cranky mofos.


Anyway, we got some shots of the baby's face and elbow. Apparently the placenta is a lovely place to nap, and FBK could not be inspired to do more than flap an annoyed hand in our direction when we attempted to wake him (her?). I can't help but wonder if we would have had more success had the cheerful, experienced lady attempted the same maneuver. We will know in four weeks, when the next attempt is scheduled. May 23rd, 1pm central time. It's totally going to work this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment