6.13.2009

Can't sleep. Baby will eat me.

Hey guys, remember when Iris was born and she was that skinny little slice of a baby? Remember how we all commented that she seemed to be a reasonable weight, but she was just so tall that there would be no way to fatten her up? Har. Iris weighs 13lbs. 15oz. That's somewhere in the 73rd percentile for weight. And lest you think her height has tapered off, she's now 25 inches long. That would be the 87th percentile right there. So she's grown three (THREE!) inches since she was born, and gained six pounds.

Make adorable baby: check. Plump to Dom DeLuise proportions ASAP: checkitty check. Must be all that cake we're feeding her. No, but seriously? Similac has to be like iron-fortified liquid cake for babies, because she was plenty big when she was exclusively breast-fed, but the ankle/wrist/knee/mid-arm/everywhere fat rolls didn't really present themselves till formula started comprising half of her diet.

I almost feel bad for Iris. She's doomed to be the biggest kid in class, and I'm sure she'll always be mistaken for a kid much older than her actual years. It already happens a bit now with me, and I'm pretty sure I know when she was born. She looks like a toddler with severely stunted gross-motor skills. Hey, why can't that two-year-old walk or sit up or even crawl yet? Oh. Because she's not quite four months.

In other, moderately related news, Kelly ripped up her beast of an iris patch in her front yard and donated a good 50 bulbs or so to us. I'd been meaning to get some irises in the ground for a while now, for obvious reasons, but hadn't really gotten around to it. Kelly's so helpful. Anyway, I was going to work them into the existing beds here and there around the house, but I figured - what the hey, might as well give them their own space. They spread so quickly that I'd hate to see them take over an area and then just have to be moved again in a year. So they are now lining the East side of our house and I couldn't be more tickled with them. I did the little jumpy clappy dance when I was done planting them because I couldn't help but picture Iris sitting amongst them in the springtime and all of the ridiculous captions those pictures would foster. Can. Not. Wait.

I took a bunch of pictures this morning, but then Iris went to sleep in the room with the little upload cord thingy, so you'll have to wait for those. She's recently fallen in love with any and all stuffed animals that sing songs (curse you, Fisher Price), but one in particular makes her go all squealy like the Beatles showed up. It's this little white bunny, wearing pink jammies, and her name is Hettie. Uh, Iris picked the name. Anyway, the point is I took a bunch of pictures of Iris and Hettie this morning and they're delicious. I'll get them up soon.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're sweating about having to hand over the keys to the car soon! She may slow down, and then you'll be fretting about that! If she ain't cute -- I don't know what is. Love, Aunt Di

    ReplyDelete